Law School Scholarships Around the World
Take a look below at the selection of law school scholarships and grants currently available to law students around the world, and click the links to find out more.
Law scholarships to study anywhere in the world
- FUNED Scholarships for Mexican Students – Graduate law scholarships for Mexican students enrolling on a master’s program at a leading university in the top 200 of the QS World University Rankings® anywhere in the world. (Information in Spanish).
- HM Hubbard Law Scholarship – Law scholarships for trainee and qualified solicitors in the UK to undertake further study in France, Spain or Canada.
- Law Foundation Graduate Scholarships – Scholarships for law students pursuing a graduate degree in law or a related subject to study at recognized universities in Canada, the US and elsewhere. To be eligible, you must be from British Columbia (Canada) or have graduated from a law school there.
- MENZIES Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for Australian citizens to gain funding for postgraduate study in international law.
Law scholarships to study in Australia & New Zealand
To study in Australia:
- Equity Scholarships Scheme @ QUT – Need-based scholarships at Australia’s Queensland University of Technology, available to students of all levels studying law, business, education, health, science or engineering.
- Juris Doctor (JD) Scholarship for International Students @ UNSW – Law scholarships for international students undertaking the JD program at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia.
- Postgraduate Scholarships @ University of Sydney – Various scholarships for students of all study levels enrolled at the University of Sydney’s Law School.
- TC Beirne School of Law Masters Scholarships @ UQ – Need-based LLM scholarships for students enrolling on the LLM or Master of International Commercial Law program at the University of Queensland in Australia.
To study in New Zealand:
- Auckland Law School Postgraduate Scholarships – A range of scholarships to study law at postgraduate level at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. There are also undergraduate scholarships.
- Ethel Benjamin Scholarship – Law scholarships funded by the Law Foundation for New Zealand women to study law in New Zealand at postgraduate level. A similar scholarship is available at the Victoria University of Wellington.
- The New Zealand Law Foundation Doctoral Scholarship – Scholarships for Kiwi PhD students to carry out research in a defined area of the law for the benefit of New Zealand and its legal system.
Law scholarships to study in Europe
To study in Germany:
- DAAD Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance (PPGG) – Postgraduate scholarships for students from countries in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and the Middle East, to undertake a master’s degree in public policy at a participating German university. Applicants should have studied a related undergraduate degree (e.g. law, economics or politics) and should intend to use their qualification within their country of origin.
- Max Planck Society Research Scholarships – Doctoral and postdoctoral law scholarships for doctoral students and researchers to study law in Germany.
To study in the Netherlands:
- Amsterdam Law School Merit Scholarships @ UvA – LLM scholarships for students to gain funding for study law at master’s level within the University of Amsterdam’s Faculty of Law. Applicants should already hold an LLB degree.
- Holland Scholarship @ University of Groningen – A €5,000 scholarship is available for bright undergraduate non-EU students who hold a degree from a university outside the Netherlands and have received an admission offer from the University of Groningen for one of the programs listed here.
To study in the UK:
- Dickson Poon Undergraduate Law Scholarship Programme @ King’s College London – Undergraduate scholarships for law students studying at the Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London.
- Henry Arthur Hollond Studentship in Law @ University of Cambridge – Studentship for an enrolling student on the LLM program at the University of Cambridge’s Trinity College. (Scroll down the page to view full scholarship details).
- John Bloom Law Bursary – UK scholarships for students looking to pursue a law degree at a recognized UK university. Available to UK citizens with financial need only.
- Law School Scholarships and Grants @ UCL – Various undergraduate scholarships for law students studying at UCL (University College London) in the Faculty of Laws.
- LLB Scholarships @ University of Birmingham – Various law scholarships and grants for domestic and international students to study the LLB (Bachelor of Laws) program at the University of Birmingham’s Law School.
- Margaret Bennett Scholarship for African Women @ LSE – LLM scholarships to study the Master of Laws program at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), open to female students from Africa (preference given to students from North Africa).
- Postgraduate Law School Funding @ QMUL – Scholarships for law students undertaking the LLM, MSc or PhD programs at Queen Mary University of London’s School of Law.
- Taught Postgraduate Scholarships @ University of Kent – Various postgraduate scholarships for students studying the Taught LLM program at the University of Kent.
Law scholarships to study in North America
To study in Canada:
- Schulich School of Law Scholarships @ Dalhousie University – Various law school scholarships to study at Dalhousie University.
- Master’s Scholarships for International Students @ Laval University – Graduate scholarships for law students enrolling on a master’s degree at Laval University. Open to all international students from Africa or Europe (excluding French students).
- Undergraduate Faculty Scholarships @ McGill University – Various undergraduate scholarships and prizes for bachelor-level law students studying at McGill University.
To study in the US:
- AABA Foundation Scholarships – US scholarships for law students interested in pursuing careers in public interest, for students from the Asia-Pacific and other underrepresented communities in the San Francisco Bay Area. International students are eligible, but must live in the Bay Area.
- ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund – Law school scholarships offered by the American Bar Association (ABA), open to first-year law students at ABA-accredited law schools in the US. Open to US citizens only.
- Arent Fox Diversity Scholarship Program – Scholarships for law students in their first and second year at an ABA-accredited law school in the US. Scholarship winners will receive a $20,000 award and a salaried summer associate position.
- Bradley R Corbett Scholarship – Law scholarships for US citizens offered by defense attorney, Bradley R Corbett.
- Federal Circuit Bar Association Scholarship – Law school scholarships for students pursuing a JD program at an accredited university in the US. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and interest in certain aspects of US law.
- MALDEF Law School Scholarship Program – Law school scholarships for Latino students interested in advancing Latino civil rights in their careers. Open to Latino US citizens studying law at any degree level in the US.
- National Bar Institute Law School Scholarships and Grants – Law school scholarships and grants available to US students enrolled at law school in the US. Funding for African-American and minority students available.
- NYU Law Scholarship Programs @ NYU – Various scholarships for law students undertaking the JD program at New York University (NYU) in the US. Scholarships also cover specializations such as cybersecurity.
- JD Scholarships @ University of San Diego – Various JD scholarships are available for entering students who show academic excellence (such as a strong academic background/LSAT score).
- Cohen & Cohen Civil Justice Scholarship – An $1,000 scholarship available to a student currently enrolled in an accredited community college, undergraduate, or graduate program in the US (including first-year university students, who graduated high school or have a GED), and any high school Junior or Senior.
- DREAM Act Scholarship – An $500 merit-based, essay-contest scholarship which aims to support individuals who wish to make a difference in the lives of immigrants and other non-native individuals living in the US.
Many more law scholarships in the US, from private law firms and external organizations, can be found listed on the University of Notre Dame’s law school website. Another US university listing external law school scholarships is the University of California, Berkeley.
This article was originally published in March 2015. It was updated in November 2018.
Want more content like this? Register for free site membership to get regular updates and your own personal content feed.
本文首发于 2016 November ， 更新于 2020 January 。